Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Bagpipe Phenom Pack Member

As we approach the annual West Hills Multicultural Fair, I encourage everyone to check out a slated performance by junior Austin Diepenhorst. I hear he has performed in past years and so is likely a crowd favorite already, but I didn't find out about his bagpipe playing skills until just recently. Luckily, due to the special testing schedule, I had an opportunity to chat with him yesterday.

To begin with, I learned that Austin is incredibly talented when it comes to playing the instrument. Having started only four years ago, Austin is impressively already competing at Grade One, which is the highest of five levels just short of Professional Grade. Check out the video below of Austin playing recently in Las Vegas - make sure to watch through the end!


Beyond his obvious skill with playing, my conversation with Austin quickly made me realize that he is also highly informed regarding all aspects from mechanics and craftsmanship of the instrument to historical knowledge about traditions and particular artists and songs. Austin has not only connected with bagpipers locally, but has also found mentors and become friends with enthusiasts across the globe. For instance, he is currently studying under Bruce Gandy who lives in Nova Scotia, and the two conduct lessons via video chat. As Austin explained, being involved with the community has "made a big world smaller."

All of this talk also reminds me of Seth Godin's Tribes theory (NOTE: Godin's seminal work Tribes is available in the West Hills library for checkout). Clearly, Austin has created his place in the Bagpipe Tribe, and to have discovered and tapped into this passion at such a young age inspires me. It is also a good reminder that as an educator, I need to continually prioritize finding ways to connect with students regarding their interests - our students are amazing!

With my lack of scaffolding, I can't really do justice in representing the knowledge that Austin shared with me, but here are a few pieces that he has recommended. Give them a listen, and if you want to know more, just ask Austin. He exudes infectious energy when talking about the topic, and it is an honor that in our profession, we get chances to see our students light up like this and to learn from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment